MetaSynth is so unusual and so versatile that most people -- even those who have spent considerable time with the software -- don't discover some of the extraordinary (but non-obvious) things that MetaSynth can do. There is much more to it than creating sound from imported pictures. Watch these videos to see some of the extraordinary things that you can easily do with MetaSynth. NOTE: These only scratch the surface of this very deep program.
Video Demonstrations and Tutorials
- MetaSynth Diary: Fun With Rhythm Loops - A look over Edward's shoulder as he uses MetaSynth to transforms two short rhythm loops into an extended variation with added stereo "spice". (Length: 15 minutes)
- Image Filter Introduction - introduction to the Image Filter Room that demonstrates both its unique effects and its awesome precision. (Length: 4 minutes 20 seconds.)
- Image Filter Vocoding, Part 1 - this video demonstrates how to create vocoding effects in the Image Filter Room and how to turn a vocoding preset into a filter for creating unique rhythmic effects. (Length: 4 minutes 30 seconds.)
- Image Filter Vocoding, Part 2, Examples - this video shows several additional examples of Image Filters created with the techniques demonstrated in Part 1. Filters derived from speech and singing are applied to drums. And filters derived from singing are applied to string sounds. These include rhythmic filters that might not obviously have been based on a sampled sound. (Length: 2 minutes 22 seconds.)
- Spectrum Synth Introduction - brief introduction to the spectrum synth. (Length: 1 minute 30 seconds.)
- Spectrum Synth Basics, part 1 - in-depth look at the basics of creating and editing spectrum sequences. (Length: 6 minutes.)
- Spectrum Piano Groove - a step-by-step tutorial on building the piano-based groove heard in the Spectrum Synth Introduction. It also shows how to use formant filters and the filter brush to spice things up. (Length: 3 mintues 31 seconds).
- Image Synth Basics (FLASH presentation)- This presentation explains the very basics of Image Synthesis and presents a variety of sounds to give you an idea of the Image Synth's range. This short presentation only touches the surface. More Image Synth video demonstration will be added soon. The sound collage plays automatically at the end of the presentation.
- Image Synth Sound Collage (FLASH presentation) - Hear a montage of Image Synth sounds while watching the images with which they were created. At the collage's conclusion, you can explore the "sound pictures" in more detail.
- Galbanum MetaSynth Videos - Galbanum's Andrew Souter demos MetaSynth and his great Architeture 1 (for MetaSynth) library.
MetaSynth 5 User-Created Tips, Tracks, Videos and Lessons
These videos were created and posted by MetaSynth users.
- Shepard Tones - Peter Kiethe shows how his method of creating Shepard tones in MetaSynth. He recommends using the Blur command as a last step -- which was not captured in the screencast.
- Simon Stockhausen lets you peek over his shoulder as he converts a vocal sample into some aural magic. (YouTube).
- Eldon Loblein's "Glitch" tutorial. On this video we found on YouTube, Mr. Loblein gives a peek over his shoulder as he creates a 'glitch' piece with MetaSynth, melodyne and Logic Pro.
MetaSynth 4 Tips and Tricks
These videos were created a few years ago to illustrate Lessons from the Lessons section. They work best as companions to their tutorials but may be of interest if you want to see MetaSynth in action.