“Metasynth has allowed me to open up areas of expression in my music that would otherwise have remained closed to me. Hence it has become a tool that I do not want to miss anymore.“ – Dr. Daniel Hensel
MetaSynth+Xx is an award-winning electronic music and sound design studio for OS X which has been used in films such as The Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, Matrix 4, Hannibal, Run Lola Run, Dante 01, Death Race, An Mil; music by Aphex Twin, Junkie XL, Die Form, Audio Terrorist, El Silencio Blanco, Zoreh; games by Blizzard Entertainment, and others.
Sample Editor, Effects Room, and Image Filter let you process samples creating loops or one-shots, the create sample banks.
The Image Synth and Spectrum Synth let you do both, and the Sequencer and Montage create tracks and mixes.
Xx (coming soon) play MetaSynth instruments with MIDI sequences and convert to an MS Montage.
Download & Try MetaSynth CTX
Image Synth is our paradigm-smashing composition environment where you paint to sound. It has a host of available synthesis methods with nearly infinite customizable micro-tonality, the Image Synth makes possible the sounds of your dreams. Also, it can be a sampler or a sequencer!
The filtering counterpart of the Image Synth. Precise dynamic stereo filters that can create a limitless range of effects from the conventional to the otherworldly.
The Spectrum Synth analyzes sounds and creates events that capture the original’s harmonics which you can manipulate, filter, and re-arrange to invent new sounds.
The effects room provides a new approach to sound effects. Both traditional effects like delay, reverb and chorus, can be found here, and a wealth of unusual effects like our granular synthesis-based Grain and Shuffler. The unique graphic envelopes make it easy to turn “standard effects” into something unique.
This is a non-MIDI sequencer where you can compose musical phrases and rhythm loops that you can render to disk, import into the Image Synth, or add to your Montage Room compositions. Sequencer Room Example Montage Room. 24-track mixing environment. Use this room to mix down full-length compositions or to layer and composite the sounds you create in the other rooms.
Xx (separate application)
Xx is used as a stand alone MIDI sequencer and compositional tool. MetaSynth can be its sound engine, or any softsynth or hardware synth. It can also import MetaSynth Sequences and convert then to MIDI, or export MIDI to Montage images for MetaSynth.
- Development is expected to be completed in 2021.
- Current users will be emailed a discount coupon code at the time of release.
- New users can support the development of Xx CTX 1.0 by purchasing a PreRelease coupon.
Use the Montage Room to quickly assemble MetaSynth-created files.
“I’m startled by the sheer density of what’s on offer. Each of the ‘rooms’ is stuffed to the gills with features and unexpected parameters. I’ve only just begun to scratch the surface, and thinking about the potential for creativity is dizzying. And it’s all organized and easy to use: the UI is excellent. I will reiterate that it’s not a platform to come to if you aren’t willing to be surprised, and aren’t open-minded or of an exploratory nature, but if you are there are riches here to keep you going for years.” – EditMSM at KVRAudio
New Features in CTX 1.2
- Effect Room:
- Automatic file management with a given project.
- The entire state of the effects room is now auto-saved for any given project.
- Image Synth:
- 16 Bit Image Support – increases low amplitude representation, subtlety in re-synthesis, and improved analysis fidelity.
- Four new choices of color/luminosity display.
- Additional custom tuning and scales.
- Image Filter:
- 16 Bit image support to increase low amplitude representation, subtlety in re-synthesis, and improved analysis fidelity.
- Four choices of color/luminosity display.
- More custom tuning and scales.
- Spectrum Synth:
- Now has no length limits.
- Two additional stereo-graphic representations.
- Now has no length limits.
- Seamless dynamic selection playback looping.
- Improved project folder management workflow for files and sub-folders.
- Rebuilt for Cocoa MacOS+iOS (Catalina and Big Sur) also backward compatible to MacOS X 10.10.
- 5 UI Themes: Blue Steel, Classic, Dark Noise, Shaded, Shaded Metal and Paper Blueprint.
- Live resizable of main window and dialogs, generalized vector graphics for envelopes and wave-tables.
- Consolidation and extension of shortcuts and tool-tips.
- Multi-threading for all image manipulation tools/process which gives an 8 to 16 times increase in pixel-graphics speed
- Supports filenames up to 64 characters (Legacy MetaSynth had a 32 character limit).
- Updated documentation, training videos, artist interviews coming soon. Watch the Learning page.
“MetaSynth is a brilliant interpretation of graphic synthesis. The ability to tilt or warp an image meant that within seconds one could be exploring unimagined sound territories.” – Curtis Roads author of Composing Electronic Music
Expand MetaSynth CTX with Libraries and Packs
Music Produced by Eric Wenger with MetaSynth+Xx
MetaSynth users have been Professors at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Yale University, Berklee College of Music, Stanford University, Art Institute of Chicago, California Institute of the Arts, Carnegie Mellon University, Columbia University, Dartmouth College, New York University, San Francisco Art Institute, University of California, and many more…
Create your latest beats, loops, sound designs, soundtracks, and songs with this unique program.